GRAPHIC: Man survives being mauled by pet deer | News
WARNING: Some images could be considered graphic and violent in nature.
CLEVELAND COUNTY, Okla. - The 20-acre ranch in Cleveland County is a refuge for a menagerie of animals.
Charles Provost said, “My wife will take anything. We have a donkey, two cows, four deer.”
Provost has been raising these deer since they were knee-high, including “Bucky.”
“He’s just like a pet,” he said. “You could walk in and feed him. He’d lick your hand. You could pet him like a dog. But not this time.”
Charles entered the deer enclosure like he’d done hundreds of times before.
This time, the 70-year-old man was ambushed by the rambunctious 14-point buck.
Provost said, “He just put his head down and threw me against the fence. I grabbed his horn. I figured he was going to stick me.”
Charles did get stuck, repeatedly.
He said, “His horn stuck through my arm, in my chest. I have stitches all over the place, stomach, back, legs.”
The relentless assault lasted for 45 minutes.
Charles’ wife finally returned home and found him inside this pen, battered and bloody.
She had no other choice but to get the gun; it took more than a half-dozen rounds from a 9 MM to take down the crazed animal.
Charles said, “She shot him three or four times and came over to check on me. He knocked her down. I said, ‘keep shooting.’”
EMSA medics said these attacks are highly unusual but they do happen, especially during mating season.
Medic Candace McElroy told us, “There was a fisherman attacked by a buck and a 5-year-old boy was mauled feeding a buck Junior Mints.”
Charles won’t be taking anymore chances.
He plans to find a new home for the remaining herd.
He’ll have painful and permanent reminders of the wild animal he once cherished as a family pet.
Don’t miss Lance’s story of deer attack survival tonight at 10 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Cleveland County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Organization updating public on funds raised during last May’s tornadoes
- Emergency crews respond to bus accident
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- UPDATE: Police arrest man who turned himself in after killing his wife
- Driver escapes without a scratch after truck vs. train collision in Norman
- Disabled athletes take to the court to raise funds for a local organization
- Major Norman roadways to open soon
- UPDATE: Popular exit back open for commute in Norman