Norman construction begins | News
NORMAN, Okla. – Starting Monday Interstate 35 at Main St. will be getting a complete make over to cut down on traffic congestion.
However, the traffic could get worse as construction begins.
Retha Baccus battles traffic getting on and off I-35 from Main St. daily as she travels to work.
“It’s actually very hard over the bridge at times with people coming on. There’s just a lot of backed up traffic,” said Baccus.
Oklahoma Department of Transportation’s $35 million project aims to stop the congestion with a single point interchange.
Main St. bridge will be wider with a single traffic light. The on and off ramps will be longer, and the interstate will be six lanes a half a mile before and after the exit.
The construction will last just under two years, and lanes will be shut down in phases.
Drivers dread congestion brought on by construction in the college town.
“We needed it five years ago, but two years is a long time. It’ll be tough for two years,” said Neil Vickers.
Drivers will take Robinson and Lindsey St. detours while Main St. ramps are closed. For some, that means more gas milage.
“That will be money they will be spending on gas and not other things into the economy,” said Les White.
Southbound I-35 ramp to Main and Northbound I-35 ramp from Main will be open late June in time for football season traffic.
To see lane closure details, click here.
Upcoming Events near Cleveland County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Organization updating public on funds raised during last May’s tornadoes
- Emergency crews respond to bus accident
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- UPDATE: Police arrest man who turned himself in after killing his wife
- Driver escapes without a scratch after truck vs. train collision in Norman
- Disabled athletes take to the court to raise funds for a local organization
- Major Norman roadways to open soon
- UPDATE: Popular exit back open for commute in Norman