Multiple accidents force construction changes | News
NORMAN, Okla. – Norman Public Works and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation are examining the construction zone around the Main Street Bridge after multiple car accidents in that area sent several people to the hospital.
Public Works Director Shawn O’Leary said both ODOT and Norman Public Works are looking at the construction zone to try to find ways to make it safer for drivers.
Among the problems, abbreviated merging space and multiple construction areas.
“There is a second project on the Canadian River Bridge, where they’re widening that bridge as well,” O’Leary said. “So now you have two construction zones within a mile of each other, and those signs might be confusing to drivers.”
The Lindsay St. onramp onto I-35 northbound, where merging has become more abrupt, is also causing problems.
O’Leary said that problem will only be fixed once construction on the merging lane is finished Wednesday.
“Sometimes you’re just in constrained areas,” O’Leary said. “There’s just not anymore space that we can grab onto to make those lanes longer or wider so we’ve got to live within the constraints we have out there.”
The Department of Transportation is also looking into putting up more construction signs to give drivers a better idea of what to expect on I-35.
Norman Public works expects construction on I-35 and the Main Street Bridge to be complete by early 2014.
Upcoming Events near Cleveland County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Organization updating public on funds raised during last May’s tornadoes
- Emergency crews respond to bus accident
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- UPDATE: Police arrest man who turned himself in after killing his wife
- Driver escapes without a scratch after truck vs. train collision in Norman
- Disabled athletes take to the court to raise funds for a local organization
- Major Norman roadways to open soon
- UPDATE: Popular exit back open for commute in Norman