Moore man arrested for soliciting undercover officer | News
MOORE, Okla. – Moore Police have taken a suspected predator off the streets.
The man was arrested for soliciting a sexual encounter with what he thought was a 15-year-old boy.
He was actually talking with an undercover officer.
Moore Police Sgt. Jeremy Lewis said, “The good thing in this instance was that it was a police officer but it easily could be your child.”
It was just last week, police said an officer posing as a 15-year-old boy in an online chat room was propositioned by a Moore resident.
Lewis said, “This was the first time he used this chat room and it really only took about 3.5 days to get someone had posted an ad contact him and then set up a meeting.”
The meeting was set at the Moore Public Library right behind the police department.
Lewis said, “We had officers set up around the library and took him in to custody when he arrived.”
The suspect is 59-year-old Steven Cunnyngham.
Lewis said, “Speaking with him, this was definitely a problem he has. He’s admitted to several other situations like this.”
Exactly what was said in the online conversations is part of the investigation.
Police said it was very graphic and quite disturbing.
Lewis said, “He believed he was coming for a sexual nature.”
Through interviews with the suspect, they found out this was not his first meeting with someone he met online.
Lewis said, “He did admit to meeting other people, not necessarily children but other males and females.”
Our crew went to Cunnyngham’s home.
A woman answered the door but said she preferred not to comment.
As for police, they said this should serve as a warning for all parents and teens that chatting online is not a safe choice.
Lewis said, “The main advice we would have is any chat room where anyone can talk to them, it’s just dangerous.”
Police say Cunnyngham will be charged with soliciting sexual contact with a minor by computer.
He has bonded out of the Cleveland County Jail.
Upcoming Events near Cleveland County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Organization updating public on funds raised during last May’s tornadoes
- Emergency crews respond to bus accident
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- UPDATE: Police arrest man who turned himself in after killing his wife
- Driver escapes without a scratch after truck vs. train collision in Norman
- Disabled athletes take to the court to raise funds for a local organization
- Major Norman roadways to open soon
- UPDATE: Popular exit back open for commute in Norman